Think that you've got what it takes but simply don't know how to get out of the rut that you're stuck in? Tired of watching as others overtake you in the career or leadership stakes?
Helping smart 'n savvy women in (and into) leadership roles is my specialty so let me share a secret with you.
As women we've been socialised to do things right, properly, well and appropriately. In fact we're usually the enforcer of manners and good behaviour within the family unit. We take our responsibilities seriously, but sometimes ........... just sometimes .... doing things differently might just be more helpful.
Colouring outside the lines, flying by the seat of your pants and being prepared to have a crack at it - so what might this mean? (And no, I don't mean breaking the law.)
- Put your hand up before you feel ready
- Embrace the benefits of Just in Time Learning
- Ask questions designed to shake up the status quo
- Break with routine, orderly and risk averse
- Have a crack at something even if you've never done it before
- Apply for a role two or three levels up, instead of one - or worse, sideways
- DON'T do things the way they've always been done before
- When the computer says no, find another way
- See limitations as challenges - Awards, salary negotiations, promotions, speaking gigs, entrepreneurial funding
- Dream, plan and act in ways that create a new reality of your choice - not one that's expected of you.
- Don't let other people's definitions of success become yours - become the definer, not the defined
- When everyone else turns right, turn left
- Fit your own mask, before you fit those of others
- Maybe quit your job one day with nothing to go to - in the midst of the GFC despite the best advice of your friends and family (whoops that was me!)
- Try creative approaches to applying for roles that really excite you
- Find things to do at work that light your fire, fire up your soul, keep you awake at night with excitement and that make your friends green with envy
- And if you can't find a seat at the table - BYO chair!
- Yes, maybe others will accuse you of "drinking the Cool Aid" but at least you will have fun along the way and won't be left wondering.
Two questions that might help you decide whether or not it's your turn to colour outside the lines:
- What have you got to lose?
And perhaps more significantly .......
- What have you got to lose if you don't?
Remember - my goal is that you win the feminine ambition trifecta - earn a great salary, have a big say/voice in your work and make an even bigger difference.
Vive la révolution!
#ambitionrevolution #feminineambition #LookOutCSuiteHereSheComes