If you're reading this, you already know that LinkedIn is incredibly 'in' right now for those wanting to fast track career progress. The platform not only allows you to put up a shop front window for 'brand you' that should keep you top of the pops 24/7 while you sleep, but it also enables you to make great connections, build relationships and position yourself while you are sitting at your desk pretending to work.
But we reckon that there is something sinister doing the rounds on the platform. Maybe it's the new roll out since Microsoft took over. Or maybe it's simply that the number of people signing up to LinkedIn is still growing exponentially and it's feeding the beast.
However, the signs are all there and the following is a collection of symptoms that we've lumped together that indicate one thing - and that's that you have caught a bad case of the dreaded Linkfluenza virus.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS of LINKFLUENZA
If you tick yes to one or more of the below list then you'd better go see your doctor and get the antidote! ASAP.
You spend more than one hour per day on LinkedIn when it's not your job and you worry when you simply don't have enough time in your day to do more
- You refresh your posts over and over again to check how many likes you have on your last share
- You rate yourself and measure your own success by how many connections you have (or don't have)
- You get sent to LinkedIn jail every now and then when you are emailing people, and when you log back in LinkedIn asks you if you are a bot
- You know all the rules about keeping out (and getting out) of Linkedin jail because you've been there quite a few times!
- Your connections on Linkedin mean more to you than your real life business connections - or worse your family!
- You feel anxious and have withdrawal symptoms if you can't access LinkedIn for whatever reason
- You are always going in to see who has looked at your profile and you've been known to double check your own profile settings if you have no new profile views in a 24 hour period.
Don't mistake the map for the territory. Linkedin is a cool and awesome business and networking tool. It's an even more powerful tool for those who have consultancies. But LinkedIn isn't life. And if you ticked yes to one or more of the above then we suggest that you'd better go out and get one (a real life that is).
If you liked this article - please share!
And if you've identified any other signs or symptoms or maybe even a cure, please comment below. Let's help our fellow Linkfluenza sufferers sooner rather than later.
- This article was jointly written by Amanda Blesing and Russell Boon, both of whom have become accidental LinkedIn ninjas.
- Hand on heart, we've each suffered from Linkfluenza at various stages.
- Don't panic - it is treatable.
Liked this? Here are some more
- The Seven Deadly Linked-Sins
- Effective & Efficient LinkedIn Formula for the Time Poor
- LinkedIn Lurv for Executive Women
Vive la révolution! #ambitionrevolution #LookOutCSuiteHereSheComes #feminineambition #success #career #executivebranding #personalbrand #standout #leadership #executivewomen #careerfutureproofing