Highly successful leaders have systems: tips for female leaders
Leaders are only as successful as the systems that support them – both personally and professionally.
In fact, highly successful leaders have systems and routines for almost everything they do, which leaves them time and energy to focus on the things that require more nuance.
In times of yester-year, businessmen had housewives – and she was their system 😂
But times are different now. With AI on the agenda and increasingly complex, adaptive, globalised, joined up thinking required, systems thinking will need to become your super power.
“To be an effective leader, you need to cultivate a systems mindset”
~ Professor Linda Hill, Harvard Business School
I’ve written about successful leaders having systems before and received so many emails from readers who appreciated the article that I thought it was worth reminding you again.
SETTING YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS FROM THE GET GO
Now is the time to set up your systems that will keep you focused, motivated and operating at your best both personally and professionally.
Here are a few ideas to get you started –
- Get your boundaries in place now – don’t wait until it’s too late or you’ll be playing catch up
- Identify in advance what will be a hard “no” from you, or what you will say “yes” to
- Pinpoint opportunities to group, restructure, combine, or even delegate, that might be different from last year – don’t just roll into the new year with the same mental frameworks in place – ask questions of yourself now to ensure you keep evolving
- Establish parameters for times to focus, meet with others, and even time for your own growth and development
- Block your calendar in advance
- Communicate with your boss and teams in advance and proactively manage their expectations about your availability, and even your expectations of them
- Set up systems and routines to support your health and happiness – accountability buddies, check up appointments made in advance and scheduled into your calendar and even your coaching locked in for the year in advance
- Automate your finances so there is way less stress in response to negative news headlines designed to trigger and distract you
- And while you’re at it, set up a system to ensure you get a raise when the time is right too.
Don’t make your success a happy accident, make it a fait accompli instead!